Deathscythe Update

I’ve been a bit skeptical on the wings (or Active Cloak), but the fears were unfounded, given they hold together really well and doesn’t make the model tip over as originally feared. With that said, the model is now complete and ready for the post-modelling process, which includes the the matte primer (to clean-up the scratches and make it look less plastic and more realistic), the decals, and the lining. I might put those extra touches on hold for a few weeks so I can rebuild Char’s Zaku II.

Unfortunately, the Holidays means more time at work and less updates here :(. I’ll see what I can do to keep building.


A wingspan that would make even Batman jealous.


The blade is spans almost the length of the entire Gundam


Look at that intimidating stare.

Rick Dias, Opening the Box

It’s time for a new blog update! I’ve been sick-ish the last few weeks, but feeling so much better now! Here’s a new update with what going on in the world of Scott!

Its a Box!

A big package came in yesterday from Gundam Planet, which has great competitive prices, Mobile Suits sorted by series, scale, and grade (as opposed to Amazon that just dumps everything into “Toys & Games”). With that said, I wonder what’s inside?

The model!

What is this? It’s a new Mobile Suit, “Quattro’s” custom Rick Dias. The box design looks admittedly like generic 3D garbage. What does the actual model look like?

Side of the Box

Box insert

The inside of the box has a nice full insert of Quattro Vageena’s (snickers) custom mobile suit. Immediatly I can see that the model is a bit on the “bright side” as far as the usage of coloring…and that has me a bit concerned since I can be picky when it comes to putting my models on display.

Animated Rick Dias

For comparison’s sake, I pulled up this image from the 1985 design from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. Just as I expected, the red is a bit subdued in the actual series compared to the model illustrations. My assumption based off comparisons on various finished models is that model is actually just lit weirdly…but instead of conjecturing, let’s see what it actually looks like inside the box.

Inside the Box

The different parts

The Manual

The colors look about right given the lighting conditions when I took these pictures. I’m also happy to say the instructions are easy to follow. Sure, it has four different alphabets (Romanji, Kanji, Katakana, Hiragana), but that doesn’t intimidate me in the slightest!


Whoops! You didn’t see that last picture.

This is going to be a fun project. Unlike my last project with Char’s Zaku II, there is going to be a lot less risks that I’ll be making with painting. Most of the focus will be towards weathering and panel lining. With that said, this is going to be an awesome project and I’ll be posting periodic updates of my progress.